Friday, January 4, 2013

Union Jack Inspired Coffee Table

I came across this coffee table online and just knew I had to have it!
Though the color wasn't what I was looking for, I saw the potential. 
It was solid, large, had storage, and was on casters! 
I heart pieces on casters!!


Once I got it home, I couldn't wait to get started.  So, as I do with many of my projects, I enlisted the help of my sweet friend Marley.  We began by painting the inner rectangle on the top with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP) in Duck Egg and the body & drawers in Old White.

 

Once that dried, we taped off the design I wanted using painters tape. 
The outer square was then painted with ASCP in Coco, along with,
the large triangles within the design.

 
 
Using Old White, we began filling in the straight lines.  
We removed the tape a strip at a time and filled in to complete 
the rest of the design.  The pretty turquoise color was revealed!! 
 
 
 
Being that I was going for an aged look, this was too "perfect" . 
We grabbed the dark wax and just started applying it.
See what a difference the dark wax makes.....
 
 
There was no rhyme or reason to applying it.  I wanted it to look old and
"loved on".  I think I achieved that effect.  After distressing the edges, we topped the entire piece off with a coat of clear wax and this is what we got.....
 
 
A beautiful piece of furniture that is functional!
 
 
(Yep! I painted right over the hardware too...that's the beauty of ASCP!) 
                                                         
                                                       ~Amanda~
 
 




0 comments:

Post a Comment